Proper Way to Wrap the Cannon Bone
Numbers correspond to leg drawings above. Note all hand positions.
- Make sure leg is cleaned, dried, and ready for routine dressing.
- Apply medicated gauze pad and wrap with a flexible bandage such as Kling Gauze.
- Progressively turn the bandage wrap, moving downward.
- Turn the wrap back up the leg well below injury.
- End well above the injury, just below the knee.
- Finish primary wrap.
- Apply padding to relieve tension.
- End of padding should be carefully smoothed out.
- Start on the middle of the cannon bone with a self-adherent stretch bandage under the padding wrap and secure with a second wrap.
- Continue to wrap with successive turns, spiraling down the leg.
- Continue all the way back up the leg and back to the center.
- Press the final wrap so that it adheres to itself.
Learn more about bandaging a horse’s leg.
- Wrap or Bandage a Hock
- Wrap or Bandage a Knee
- Wrap or Bandage the Forearm
- Wrap a leg below the knee or hock
- Standing Bandages
- Shipping Bandages
Craig Wood, University of Kentucky