Why is good pasture important to horses? Well, because horses should consume at least 1-2% of their body weight each day in forage (hay or pasture). A 1000 lb horse will need from 1 – 3 acres to provide enough pasture to meet its total nutrient requirements.
Objectives of this lesson include:
- Learn about the different types of grasses in pastures.
- Understand pasture management procedures.
- Learn about manure management.
- Develop knowledge of nutritional issues.
- Understand different types of grazing systems.
- Learn about plants toxic to horses.
- Develop understanding of facilities in pastures.
This course is displayed using the online course tool known as Moodle. You will need to create an account and register with Moodle to view and participate in this and other equine courses offered by eXtension.
Once you have completed this lesson, please take a few minutes to give us feedback about your learning experience in this short survey. Provide Feedback.
Want to Learn More?
Take other Horses Learning Lessons.