Horse Judging Basics: Teams and Judges
This self-directed course is designed to teach new coaches, judges, and judging team members what to expect from a horse judging contest and judging horses.
The four modules in the course include:
What is a Horse Judging Contest?
- Learn about all the components of a judging contest, classes judged, how to score reasons and placing and more!
Getting Started with Oral Reasons: Competitive Horse Judging
- Learn the how to give oral reasons, taking notes and organizing a set, tips on presentation and see some oral reasons samples.
- Plus, an eBook of “Terms for Horse Judging”.
Basics of Evaluation of Conformation
- In this lesson you will learn the basics of evaluating the conformation of horses.
- There are two practice halter classes with placings and comments
Starter Pack: The Basics You Need to Know
- Mechanics of Judging Halter: Horse Show vs Judging Contest
- Footfall Sequence of Horse Gaits video
- Horse Parts
- Judging Manuals
This course is a partnership with Extension Horses, Inc. and Horse IQ.
- $50 for 6 months
- $90 for 12 months
- Unlimited access on unlimited devices
This course is offered through eXtension’s Campus. You will need to create an account and register with Campus to view and participate in this and other equine courses offered by Extension Horses.
To enroll go to:
- For a 6-month subscription: Horse Judging Basics: Teams and Judges (6 months)
- For a 12-month subscription: Horse Judging Basics: Teams and Judges (12 months)
Three e-pubs for use your use in training your judging teams
- Horse Judging: Terms for Oral Reasons, University of Nebraska, Lincoln
- 4-H-955 – Horse Judging Pub Purdue, Purdue University
- Oklahoma Horse Judging Manual Spring 2021, Oklahoma State University