Ashley Griffin, University of Kentucky
Ethology is the scientific study of animal behavior. Technically, ethology is the study of animals in their natural habitat. Several things make a horse unique in the animal kingdom:
- Horses are strongly social. They are herd animals and are very comfortable when they can see other horses.
- Horses are herbivores, or plant-eating animals. They rely on grazing grasses and leaves for food.
- Horses typically show a tendency for imitation between young and old.
- Horse are seasonal breeders.
- Males tend to form separate male subgroups at certain times of the year.
- Horses are considered a prey species in the animal kingdom.
- Horses are capable of strong pair bond relationships.