Is Your Horse Fit?
As the weather gets warmer and riding activities and competitions increase, it is important for horse owners to start thinking about conditioning their horses. Lack of intense work and activity over the winter can leave your horse unfit. In order to best prepare the horse, a conditioning program should be aimed specifically towards an event. Considerations should include the time frame in which you have to condition the horse, any previous conditioning, the level you wish the horse to achieve, and whether the horse is recovering from previous injury or stress.
Learn more about conditioning horses by reading these eXtension horse articles.
- Basic Conditioning of the Equine Athlete
- Conditioning Horses for Different Equine Events – Archived Web chat with eXtension Horse Quest experts.
- Conditioning Your Horse for the Summer – Archived Web chat with eXtension Horse Quest experts.
- Nutritional Concerns for Exercising Horses
- Patience, Long Slow Distance Important for Conditioning Horses for Competition
- How to Body Condition Score Horses – Learn more about equine body condition scoring in this learning lesson!
- Conditioning Your Horse for the Show Season – Webcast Recording, sponsored by My Horse University and eXtension Horse Quest.